Sunday, April 19, 2009

Recipe; Simple cake

Last week Sandra @ http://inthissmallhouse.blogspot.com/ House had posted a recipe for chocolate crinkle cookies. As the name says, one of the ingredients of the cookie was cocoa powder, which I didn’t had at home. But I wanted to try it, so I baked it without cocoa powder. Well I must say, what I got were delicious mini cake bite.

I just modified her recipe and made a cake. I did the frosting for the 1st time, so messed it up a bit while spreading, but it tasted great.

Here is it(Picture is not that good, but taste was awsome):

To do the cake you need


  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla/almond extract
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • ½ cup Chopped almonds

And then

  • Mix together sugar and vegetable oil
  • Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla
  • Combine the flour, baking powder, almonds and salt and add to the above mixture
  • Beat till its gets to the ribbon consistency
  • Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the baking dish with a nonstick spray
  • Pour in the mixture and let it bake till the tooth pick comes out clean, when inserted in the center of the cake, approx 55-60 minutes(time may vary)
  • Transfer it to the wire rack and let it cool completely before frosting

To do the Frosting / Icing you need

  • 1 cup Heavy Whipping cream
  • ½ tsp vanilla/almond extract
  • 1 tsp granulated sugar

And then

  • In a large mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla/almond extract, and sugar and stir
  • Chill the beater & mixing bowl for at least 15 mins
  • When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.

Finally

  • Once the cake is completely cooled, take a bread knife and cut it horizontally it into two equal halves
  • Now spread the whipping cream on the top of one half
  • Cover with the other half of the cake and spread the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting
  • Decorate it with the finely chopped almonds
  • Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving

Tip

  • I line the baking dish with the aluminum foil and then pour the batter on it. This way it’s easy to remove the cake from the dish.
  • After the cake is baked if you want to do icing on it, turn it up side down, that is the icing should be done on the base. Hence you get a flat surface. (I got to know about this after I was done with my cake)

2 comments:

Small House said...

How you came up with this from a chocolate cookie recipe is beyond me. You must be quite the cook. SERIOUSLY!! It's not a talent I have at all. I have to hand it you. I like the idea of using whip cream for the topping. I'll be giving this a try.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Neha said...

OMG!! Me and cook.. Well on the scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least, I will rate myself at 3. All thanks to internet for few different dishes I try now.